Friday, January 9, 2009

Birthday Blessings


I turned 34 today!!  I am no longer in my early thirties I have move up to the mid-thirties category.  How did that happen so fast?? My body feels older, well actually fatter and achier (if there is such a word.)  And my energy is low.  Yet, at the same time I feel young in spirit when I am with my boys.  

I always picture new moms  as young and vibrant.   Its like despite our chronological age we are all new at motherhood and therefore ageless in that way.  Even though my babies are now well into toddlerhood, each stage is different and exciting and the unexpected is always happening.

This is the first year that my boys understand that a birthday is your special day.  So when they woke up this morning they gave my handcrafted cards and sang the most adorable Happy Birthday song ever!  And this afternoon, my "Sweetest"  had a gift delivered to me.  The boys and I squealed with joy and excitement as we worked together to rip open the big box! We oohed and aahed over the pink, yellow and red rose bouquet inside and spent a long time smelling them and feeling their soft petals.  A few flower heads were ripped off in the process, but I  enjoyed that moment of surprise and wonder!!  That feeling is the essence of a birthday too me!  Not that I needed presents or flowers, but I sure do love getting surprises and having that moment of anticipation!!! To see that delivery through the eyes of my sons was better than any gift I could have been opened!  I want to preserve that precious sense of wonder in them and in myself.

I have been so blessed this year!! I know my birthday wishes have already come true and I look forward to all that the future holds for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment